Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Following my heart's desire

"Go for what your heart wants and all will fall in place."

I applied in many companies for my internship. Only four of them entertained my application. The first one was an international humanitarian organization based in Makati. I underwent a phone interview with them, and that was my very first formal job interview. Since then, I did not receive any further update. I waited for almost three weeks for follow-up, so I kindly asked for one last week. Apparently, I was rejected. I moved on with open arms.

The second company was Storyline of ABS-CBN's ANC. I was invited for an interview, but I did not confirm my attendance. End of story.

Torn between two companies

Now my internship dilemma was this: I got accepted at IdeaSpace Philippines and Rappler. I went to IdeaSpace in March 25 for a one-on-one interview. I got accepted, fortunately. But I was still hoping that time I would also be accepted at Rappler. I crossed my fingers, tightly.

Rappler announced that they would notify those accepted on March 31. But because of huge number of applicants (more than 100 students applied!), they just notified the successful ones in installments. I kept my hopes up high, but I thought I was not good enough to be part of Rappler.

Then IdeaSpace invited me to attend the national finals of their competition held in Antipolo City last Friday. I attended the event. I don't regret it since I had the chance to witness 20 aspiring technopreneurs in the Philippines geared to turn their ideas into commercial realities. Moreover, I was able to meet my co-interns who hailed from famous universities. Unsurprisingly, they don't know my school. Someone even asked if it's a private school! Yes, it is.

'Unofficial' intern

My first task as an unofficial IdeaSpace intern was to update the Twitter world with what was happening in the event, so I tweeted a lot during that day. I flooded the timelines of my followers. Hehehe. Sorry for that. I also met the President and Co-Founder of IdeaSpace and saw the likes of MVP and Johan Segergen (Google Manager - PH & Thailand). Indeed, it was a fun experience, and I was warmly welcomed by the team. That was the time I realized that perhaps IdeaSpace was the right company for me. The next day, the one who interviewed me followed me on Twitter, and he tweeted "Good job! Hope you enjoyed the event." I was happy that my effort was acknowledged. It seemed that I was really for IdeaSpace until an email changed everything.

Last Monday, I received the much-awaited acceptance letter from Rappler! Yes, after weeks of waiting, this is it I'm about to spend my internship at Rappler! But my application journey doesn't really end here. How about IdeaSpace? They were very kind to me. It just makes me sad that I'm about to send an email declining their offer. "It was a difficult decision to make," I wrote. There's some sort of guilt on my part: I met the bosses of the company, talked to my co-interns, and understood the internship tasks I was supposed to do. But here I am about to decline their offer. (The interviewer just added me on Facebook yesterday, which makes thing more awkward! I'll probably accept him after my internship.)

Final decision

I called my OJT professor and asked for an advice. She just said that I should follow my heart's desire and everything else will fall in place. She told me to write a letter to IdeaSpace. The email is done, and I'm about to send it right after my Rappler orientation on Thursday. It seems awkward, really. I tried to make the letter as neutral and professional as possible.

This would be the first time that I am doing this, in a professional level. I was thankful that two great companies offered me with two different opportunities. But I have to make a final decision. That decision will surely affect my career goals in life. I am hoping for the best. I am hoping that I will be receiving a kind reply from IdeaSpace once I finally send the email. I am hoping that I will be enjoying my stay at Rappler. One thing is for sure, I just followed my heart's desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment