Pages

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

12 Little Things Every Filipino Can Do To Help Our Country

"Bayani ang bawat Pilipino. (Every Filipino is a hero.) We are the heroes we need." - Atty. Alexander L. Lacson


Rarely do I finish reading books. But in December 2010, a great friend of mine gave me a birthday present – a book, so I was somehow compelled to read it. That was my humble way of valuing the unexpected gift that he gave me.

Written by Atty. Alexander L. Lacson, the title of the book was “12 Little Things Every Filipino Can Do To Help Our Country.” It had its first printing in June 2005 and sold almost 25,000 copies after its fourth printing in the first quarter of 2006; however, I first heard of this book on TV during the 2010 Philippine Election, where Atty. Lacson ran for a senatorial seat. I was intrigued by the book’s title; I immediately asked myself the same question that most readers would be probably asking before reading it: “What are those 12 little things?”

Most, if not all, of the 12 little things mentioned in the book were chiefly generic, which I neglected to realize and apply. Actions like following traffic rules and asking for an official receipt were included. Sounds easy to follow, right? Unfortunately, these are ignored by most of us.

The author, who is also a philanthropist and a nation-builder, aims to inculcate in the minds and hearts of every Filipino that each of us has significant role to partake in helping the country. The book promotes positive values about the Philippines amidst its countless adversities. For this, I salute Atty. Lacson. The book has helped me realized how imperative it is to be a good, responsible, and productive citizen of my beloved country. Indeed, I was lucky enough that I received this kind of present.

Here are the "12 Little Things" listed in the book:
1. Follow traffic rules. Follow the law.
2. Whenever you buy or pay for anything, always ask for an official receipt.
3. Don’t buy smuggled goods. Buy Local. Buy Filipino. (Or, if you read the book, he suggests: 50-50).
4. When you talk to others, especially foreigners, speak positively about us and our country.
5. Respect your traffic officer, policeman and soldier.
6. Do not litter. Dispose your garbage properly. Segregate. Recycle. Conserve.
7. Support your church.
8. During elections, do your solemn duty.
9. Pay your employees well.
10. Pay your taxes.
11. Adopt a scholar or a poor child.
12. Be a good parent. Teach your kids to follow the law and love our country.
If every Filipino will genuinely apply these acts, the Philippines is going to be a better place to live in. The book has served its purpose – a revelation about the (little) things we can actually do in helping our own country. Today is the day. Let us solemnly do our part as responsible citizens.

No comments:

Post a Comment